Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school and a Virginia CDL license with a School Bus endorsement. Some experience using computer hardware and software is preferred.
The School Bus Driver operates school buses and other vehicles to transport students to and from designated locations.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Safely operate a school bus over long distances across interstate and state primary roads at sustained legally allowed speeds, in a manner that fosters a safe and conscientious image to the public;
- Conducts safe and orderly loading and unloading of students at specified stops;
- Maintains order and discipline on the bus;
- Attends pre-service, in-service, and other required meetings pertaining to the job;
- Performs routine operator care including washing the bus; sweeping the interior; checking equipment and reporting defects, and presenting the bus for regularly scheduled maintenance;
- Accomplishes and submits daily reports, as required;
- Checks email regularly; Maintains daily time records; Ensures timely submission of timekeeping data to department administration;
- Responsible for ensuring all accidents are immediately reported to a Driver Supervisor;
- Performs duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Satisfactory health condition as certified by a competent medical authority. Must demonstrate the ability to complete the Virginia Education Department training curriculum for school bus drivers and obtain a Commercial Driver's License with appropriate school bus endorsements within the probationary period. Complete State and County requirements of twenty (20) hours of classroom and twenty (14) fourteen hours of behind-the-wheel instruction. No reckless driving or driving under the influence convictions within five (5) years and/or fewer than two (2) moving violations within twelve (12) months of employment.
Considerable knowledge of:
- GCPS vehicles approved for student transport; local,
- State and federal traffic laws and regulations;
- The operation of medium and light automotive equipment;
- Road, street and school locations within the County;
- The proper use and operation of two-way radio equipment.
- Develop and maintain a positive attitude toward students;
- Learn computer hardware and software applications;
- Communicate and develop effective working relationships with students, parents and staff.
A Commercial Drivers' License is required for this position. If you do not currently have a CDL, our department will provide all necessary training.
Candidates that successfully complete the class, obtain a license and drive five days will be eligible for a $300 Incentive Bonus as a thank you for choosing Greene County Public Schools.
Interested applicants should contact Larry Morris, Director of Transportation, for further information. (434)-939-9000 option 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.